Building of the Category Page of the E-Commerce Site
The category page on the e-commerce site is also known as the “product listing page”. It is a must for e-commerce sites. It is one of the most powerful pages where products are displayed and the customer can access the products. The structure and names of the category pages that play an active role in the conversion of the site vary according to the sector of the online store.
Category Pages Hierarchy
E-commerce site category pages are hierarchical. Sub-categories under the main category and other sub-category items under sub-pages can be used. This category structure provides a top-down and general to specific classification that helps users find the product they’re looking for.
For example; The main and sub categories of an online clothing store can be as follows; “Men’s Clothing / Men’s Shirt / Winter Shirt”. Under the main category, there can be different category pages with shirts of different sizes, colors and styles.
A hierarchical structure should be followed in the URL while the user moves from the home page to a category page. A hierarchy should be applied from left to right in the URL structure, as in the example below; “www.merchant.gov.tr”, “www.merchant.gov.tr/maincategory”, “www.merchant.gov.tr/maincategory/productpage”.
Only a hierarchical structure may not be used to classify the e-commerce site. However, the most ideal and most common structure for visitors to understand the structure of the e-commerce site and easy use is the hierarchical category structure.
Category Pages Optimization
The home page of the e-commerce site is very important; However, categories and sub-categories on the e-commerce site are also among the factors that affect the search traffic. 35% of organic searches and 4% of ads are associated with category pages. For this reason, optimized category pages will be the most important asset of the e-commerce site.
Category page optimization is a must for any e-commerce site. Category and subcategory pages optimized for e-commerce are crucial to matching users’ searches. Conversion rate, search engine, marketing, landing page, customer experience and usability optimizations positively affect both search traffic and sales of category pages. Not only does this ensure the customer has a smooth shopping control; It also helps search engines to better crawl category pages and understand the structure of the site.
Which Features Should Be Found on Category Pages?
E-commerce site categories group products by a similar topic or theme. Categories give a regular structure to the content or classification of the e-commerce site. Category pages, organized to make it easier for the user to find the product they are looking for, create an index for all product pages. E-commerce site categories are also a gateway to products. It is important for e-commerce site performance that category pages, which have an important function, have some features.
The main features that should be found on category pages are:
- Loading speed: The speed of a website is an important ranking factor for the search engine. For this reason, the page loading speed of the category pages should be optimized. An ideal loading time should not exceed 3 seconds.
- Hierarchy and taxonomy: For an ideal e-commerce site, the “three clicks away” rule should be taken into account whenever possible. This rule is that users can access products on the e-commerce site with a maximum of three clicks. The easiest way to optimize the “three click” rule to the e-commerce site is to create an effective e-commerce product category hierarchy. For this, main product categories should be created first; then one or two sub-categories should be arranged downwards.
- Category descriptions: Keywords associated with the product category should be used in category descriptions. Professional Search Engine Optimization (SEO) support can be obtained for detailed category descriptions optimized with keywords.
- Keywords: Keywords have important functions for search engines. Correct and relevant keywords should be used in the texts to be used on category pages.
- Internal linking: Internal links should be added to subcategories in the category description of the main category. This is an effective method that can be used especially for seasonal campaigns.
- Mobile optimization: Category pages should also be optimized for mobile devices. Easy viewing of components on each page and navigation features should be adjusted to fit mobile screens.
- Infinite scrolling: The “infinite scroll” feature can be used on the category page with a large amount of products. Thus, without a lower limit, new products are ordered as the user scrolls down the page.