Creating Product Detail Pages
Buying and selling products or services over an electronic network is called “electronic commerce”, ie “e-commerce”. E-commerce sites are designed to sell any product or service. All kinds of commercial activities carried out electronically through these sites are within the scope of “e-commerce”. These commercial transactions; Business to business, business to consumer, consumer to consumer. The product or service is promoted and informed to the consumer on the internet via e-commerce sites. At the end of the process, any design application that prompts the consumer to purchase constitute the parts of the process. Product detail pages are also an important part of this process.
Features of Product Detail Pages
If the product detail pages are designed with ideal features, they have the potential to convert users who visit the e-commerce site to customers. For this reason, it is important that each page is designed carefully and carefully. Mistakes made on product detail pages can undermine trust in the e-commerce site. Many online stores focus on the home page in the design of their e-commerce site; because this is the page that visitors first look at. However, the main purpose of any e-commerce site is sales. In other words, the customer goes to the product page to buy a product.
Effective product pages should immediately convey the value and details of the product. It should show customers what the product looks like or features and convince them that it is a must-have product. There are many different features and variations that can be selected when creating product detail pages. Strategies that significantly increase e-commerce transactions on product detail pages should be determined and implemented. The basic features that an effective product detail page should include are;
- Position: Products on product detail pages should be positioned conspicuously.
- Product title: On product pages, visitors usually look at the product names first. It is important that product names are easy, understandable, clear and descriptive. The expressions used in the product name field should be used in a standard framework. These statements also provide an advantage in terms of SEO. For example; In the product name section, brand name, product model and a few striking features can be written. Using striking and slogan-like expressions in product titles will leave a positive perception in users.
- Images: Those who want to shop from e-commerce sites cannot touch or try products as in physical stores. For this reason, visual elements such as photos, videos or graphics should be added to product detail pages on e-commerce sites. Images should be of high quality, high resolution and detail the details of the product.
- SEO Text: Product descriptions should contain SEO compatible text content. Contents should include the most searched keywords related to the product or product group in search engines.
- Speed: The speed of opening product detail pages is very important. The longer the access time, the higher the abandonment rate. Page loading speed should be optimized to ideal times.
- Advantages: There is intense competition in e-commerce. The same product is sold through different sites. In order to gain advantage in this competition, some advantages should be provided by making a comparison for the visitor. Options such as free shipping and coupons should be offered to gain competitive advantage against competitors selling the same product. What kind of advantages will be provided by the customer purchasing the product should be stated clearly. For example; Advantages or campaigns such as “free shipping”, “30 percent discount”, “10 points for x bank credit card” should be offered.
- Information: Product detail pages should address potential buyers’ concerns or hesitation. For this reason, detailed information should be given.
- Questions: Product pages should contain information that will not leave any question marks in the minds of the customer about the products on display. For example; “Is this shirt big?”, “Does this watch have a battery?”, “Will I be able to return it?”, “Which cargo will it come with?” The questions that the customer may ask should be answered on the product detail page.
- Tables: There should be tables or lists such as “size chart” or “product dimensions” that provide detailed information about product features.
- Manuals: Installation manual or instructions should be provided for the products to be sent disassembled. These visual content will give an idea of how the customer will set up the product or whether it should receive support.
- Options: Different feature options such as color, accessory, part or size should be offered for products. For example; There are e-commerce platforms that offer options on the detail pages up to the button color of a shirt.
- CTA buttons: There should be “Call to Action” buttons to activate the user on the product detail page. Expressions such as “add to cart” or “buy” should take place on these prominent buttons. The color and size of the buttons affect buying trends. Orange or green themed CTA buttons are widely preferred. Correct color and proper text increase conversion rates.
- Comments: There must be a customer comments area on the detail pages. It is important to remember that a substantial number of consumers rely on customer experiences and comments. Also, giving the person buying a product the opportunity to share their experiences will increase the trust in the e-commerce site.
Errors Made on Product Detail Pages
- Underestimating the product detail page, which is an important part of the e-commerce site
- Using unreliable design and content
- Missing product descriptions
- Small size and poor quality of product images
- Refund options and policies not offered
- Failure to pay attention to the product title
- Making SEO mistakes in technical infrastructure and product descriptions
- Not providing shipping fee information
- Lack of customer service support
- Hidden costs
- Incorrect pricing
- Not opening comment field
- Late opening of the page
Tips for Product Detail Pages
- One way to get e-commerce conversions is to use expressions such as “limited in stocks”, “last 2 products left”, “end product at this price”. Such statements can be placed in an area that will attract attention on the product detail pages.
- The power of social media should be used on the product page. There should be buttons that allow the shopper to share the product on social media platforms.
- The compatibility of product detail pages with mobile devices is important in terms of sales figures.
- The more descriptive texts that give information about the product, the more likely the visit will turn into a purchase.
- The customer who wants to add the product to the cart should be offered an option of quantity.
- Product reviews provide support for SEO. Comments can also be made through social networks. However, product reviews need to be reviewed by an editor.
- The price including or excluding VAT should be displayed on the product detail page.
- Live customer service support or contact form option should be offered to the customer who has reviewed the product on the detail page.