E-Commerce in the World in Numbers

E-Commerce in the World in Numbers

While e-commerce exhibits an increasing momentum on a global scale, it gradually expands its area of influence. One of the most popular online activities worldwide is online shopping; However, the use of e-commerce channels varies by region. Desktop computers are the most used devices for online shopping around the world. Mobile devices and especially smartphones are increasing in popularity in online shopping.

Mobile devices and especially smartphones are increasing in popularity in online shopping.

Worldwide retail e-commerce sales reached $ 3.53 trillion in 2019. E-retail revenues are projected to increase to 6.54 trillion USD in 2022. The revenue of 3 global e-retailer stores in 2017 reached approximately $ 100 billion. In 2016, 19 percent of all retail sales in China were made online. In Japan, this rate was only 6.7 percent.

The worldwide retail e-commerce sales figures between 2014 and 2019 are as follows;

  • 2014 – $ 1.336 trillion
  • 2015 – $ 1.548 trillion
  • 2016 – $ 1.845 trillion
  • 2016 – $ 1.845 trillion
  • 2018 – $ 2.982 trillion
  • 2019 – $ 3.535 trillion

Global retail e-commerce sales are expected to reach $ 4.206 trillion in 2020. This figure is predicted to be 4.927 trillion dollars in 2021, 5.695 trillion dollars in 2022 and 6.542 trillion dollars in 2023.

B2C and B2B Figures

China and the USA continue to be the leading countries in the B2C e-commerce market. In 2018, China ranked first with the B2C e-commerce market size of 634 billion dollars. The USA followed China with sales of 504 billion dollars in this market. Japan achieved 123 billion dollars, the United Kingdom 86 billion dollars and Germany 70 billion dollars B2C e-commerce market revenue.

B2C and B2B Figures

Cross-border e-commerce reached a global volume of $ 401 billion in 2016. In 2020, this market is expected to reach 994 billion dollars. B2B e-commerce volume in the world has reached approximately 10 trillion dollars. This figure corresponds to 5 times of B2C e-commerce. The ratio of online retail sales in total retail sales in developed countries was 11.1 percent. In developing countries, this rate was 5.9 percent.

Cross-Border E-Commerce Behaviors in the World

Cross-border e-commerce behavior in some countries is as follows;

  • B2C leader China procures 42% of its cross-border import products from Japan, 14% from America and 12% from Hong Kong.
  • 57% of the consumers in the USA buy products from China, 10% from the UK and 6% from Canada.
  • 83% of the consumers in Russia buy products from China, 5% from the USA, and 2% from Germany.
  • 50% of the consumers in the UK buy products from China, 19% from the USA and 7% from Germany.
Cross-Border E-Commerce Behaviors in the World

Clothing, footwear, consumer electronics, beauty and care are among the categories that users operate intensively around the world. These categories account for close to 60% of the total cross-border e-commerce.

The most processed category ranking is as follows;

  • Clothing and shoes: 31%
  • Consumer electronics: 21%
  • Beauty and care: 17%
  • Accessories and watches: 11%
  • Sport and hobby: 10%
  • Books, music, media: 10%
  • Toy 9%
  • Household appliances: 8%

Some Data About E-Commerce In The World

  • There are 3.5 billion social media users in the world. The number of online shoppers is 2.8 billion people.
  • 65% of the US population, 46% of China’s population, 73% of the UK population, 59% of Japan’s population, 70% of Germany’s population and 49% of Turkey’s population is to shop online.
  • Approximately 68.5% of the total population over the age of 15 in the world have a bank account. 52% of this population uses digital payment methods.
  • WorldPay Global Payment Report found that 140 different online payment methods were used in the study in 36 countries where online shopping was made.
Some Data About E-Commerce In The World
  • In 2016, the cross-border e-commerce market created a global volume of approximately 401 billion USD. In 2020, this volume is expected to reach 994 billion USD.
  • Cross-border e-commerce revenues in Europe reached 137 billion Euros in 2018. This value increased by 13.2% compared to 2017.
  • The rate of cross-border sales in total online sales in Europe is 22.8%.
  • In 2018, a value of 95 billion Euros was reached in cross-border trade in Europe, excluding the travel category. 55% of this amount was composed of retailers within the European Union. The other 45% share belongs to players outside the EU.
  • 23.6% of European consumers find cross-border e-commerce advantageous.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published.