E-Commerce Target Audience Analysis
Ecommerce sites are often very niche-oriented. E-commerce startups that detect a gap in the market for a particular product, service or idea are successful. They market themselves as leaders in the provision of these niche products or services. Niche products and services also mean the presence of an audience with niche interests. For this reason, determining the right audience is vital in e-commerce. Finding and attracting this audience points to a difficult process.
What is the Target Audience?
The target audience, an important factor for a business venture, is the people who respond to the marketing message. The target audience can sometimes be the end user; however, the end user cannot always be seen as a target audience. For example; The target audience for a baby product is babies; however, it is necessary to address the main parents. The target audience of a gift product is both the person to be gifted and the people who will gift it. Therefore, the target audience should not be considered as the end user in marketing campaigns. Companies have to effectively address the target audience in order to sell their products. For this, they must understand their desires and needs.
Defining the Target Audience
If it is not known who is marketing in commercial activities, it is not possible to market products and services effectively. There is no such thing as “average marketing”. Every ad, every content or every social media post has to be interesting to the others. While defining the target audience, focus should be placed on those who may be interested in the products or services offered. For example; Offering a young audience products that middle-aged people care about is a waste of time and will incur unnecessary costs.
Marketing costs are increasing gradually with the introduction of new trend advertising techniques. Many businesses; It cannot afford marketing expenses that would not be effective in increasing sales, conversions and profits. So it is necessary to spend the marketing budgets wisely. By narrowing the market, focusing only on the target audience most likely to convert statistically can help businesses grow and thrive. For this reason, among potential customers who visit the e-commerce site, only the purchasing audience should be focused.
Here are some tips for identifying and keeping the target audience engaged;
- The first step in determining the target audience is to know and understand the products or services the business offers. “What does the product do?”, “Who will demand?” Answers to such questions should be given.
- A niche ecommerce site needs a niche audience. Therefore, special content should be created to capture the special interests of the niche audience.
- Well-established businesses should use customer information that already exists, rather than conducting an audience analysis from scratch. Real data must be addressed as to who, which product can be offered, and which audience will be interested in the products.
- Who has purchased products or services in the past should be examined. Even if a new target audience is required, the old customer base will still give an idea.
- Visitors to the website or the store in the marketplaces with some target audience analysis tools; However, it is possible to create a database and focus on this audience by determining the audience that does not turn these visits into purchases.
- Determining what type of audience the competition in the industry is focused on is also a good way to define a new target audience. For this, websites of competitors can be examined. Contents and texts they publish regularly should be examined; blog posts should be checked.
Things to Consider in E-Commerce Target Audience Analysis
The audience focused on the target audience analysis in e-commerce should not only be the audience that is likely to buy the product. For example; It would be insufficient to identify women between the ages of 25 and 45 as the target audience for a high quality make-up material. It is necessary to consider that not only women who will use this product, but also siblings, boyfriends, spouses or parents of these women can receive it as a gift. For this reason, it should be taken into consideration that the target audience may change at certain times while analyzing the target audience.
In target audience analysis, the next step after determining the target audience is to attract this audience to the brand or products and to make them interested. For this, it is necessary to create content that is of interest to the audience. Well-defined, well-analyzed target markets and target audiences can be part of an ideal marketing campaign.
The following should be considered in target audience analysis;
- Before the target audience analysis, the product should be determined in every detail and then the target audience should be studied.
- It should be investigated which needs of the products and services offered or what kind of value they add to the target audience.
- It should be determined what the target audience is interested in, which sites they follow, which social platforms they are active on.
- Detailed examination of competitors’ activities in all types of commercial platforms; content and marketing plans should be created accordingly.
- After the target audience analysis, a customer profile should be created and the target audience should be defined with demographic and psychographic information.
As a result; Selling on e-commerce or online marketplaces is not just about offering products or services. It is necessary to advertise the product, analyze and determine the target audience and finally determine the channels for delivering the product to the target audience. If target audience analysis is not done with appropriate techniques, it may not be possible to achieve marketing goals.